Pears are plentiful during the Fall season and this pear compote is the perfect way to enjoy them. You can also try this recipe using apples!
There are many ways to eat compote. Eat it on its own hot or cold, put it on top of oatmeal or yogurt or even use it as a savory sandwich spread. This pear compote is rich in vitamin C and fiber and should keep in the fridge for about a week.
- 4 ripe but firm pears*
- ¼ cup seedless raisins
- ⅔ cup water
- ½ teaspoon of cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- 2 teaspoon butter or vegetable oil
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- Optional: honey
- Peel pears, core and chop into bite-size pieces
- Put pears, raisins, water, spices and butter or oil into a small pot and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes.
- Add lemon juice and cook for about 5 more minutes or until pears are soft.
- Set aside to cool and then serve.
- If you prefer sweeter compote feel free to add in 1 or 2 teaspoons of honey