There is a jewel-like black beans shine in this crunchy, zesty salad. Serve it with corn tortillas and vegetable soup for an easy, refreshing meal.
- 1 – 15 oz can black beans, no salt added, rinsed, drained
- 1 cup cooked quinoa (according to package directions)
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup chopped fresh mango
- ¼ cup chopped red onion
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped (or 2 tsp dried if not available)
- 1 small fresh jalepeno pepper, seeded, finely diced
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 1/2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- Mix beans, quinoa, corn, pepper, mango, onion, cilantro, and jalapeno together in a mixing bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, cumin, chili powder and turmeric together. Toss into salad mixture and chill until serving time.
Makes 6 servings (about 1 cup each)
Nutrition Information per Serving:
- Calories: 201
- Fat: 5 g
- Sat Fat: 1 g
- Sodium: 9 mg
- Carbohydrate: 36 g
- Fiber: 8 g
- Protein: 8 g
Recipe from The Plant-Powered Diet: The Lifelong Eating Plan for Achieving Optimal Health, Beginning Today, copyright © Sharon Palmer, 2012. Reprinted by permission of the publisher, The Experiment. Available June 2012.