Did you know that Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends getting at least 60 minutes of moderate to physical activity for kids and close to that for adults? And do not forget that strength and bone- building exercise should be incorporated into your exercise routine along with aerobic activity. And if this task seems insurmountable, with numerous tips and exciting activities offered by SuperKids Nutrition, it is as easy as 1-2-3.
- Get outdoors: take early morning or evening family walks
- Walk or bike to school and work
- Walk the dog
- Walk to the store
- Park the car further away
- Make a commitment starting today to make it a habit to take the stairs instead of the elevator or escalator
- Have fun creating and maintaining a garden. Weeding? It can count as squats-make it a work out!
*Remember 60 minutes a day, can add up quickly, 15+15 +30!
On the Weekend
- Hire a babysitter to spend time with your younger child while you exercise with the older child.
- Take a family trip to the beach or park and spend the day actively playing.
- Schedule a family outing that includes swimming, biking, walking, rollerblading, or hiking.
- Go on a fitness date: instead of the movies or dinner, hire a sitter to take a long walk with your spouse. Focus on fun conversation –you’ll be saving money too!
- Poor weather conditions?
- Workout on an exercise bike while watching your favorite show. Learn more by investing in a bike trainer.
- Try exergaming
- Invest in a favorite workout DVD -what’s your favorite?
- Plan an active birthday party. Backyard Olympics, badminton or a pool party with ample supervision are all great options
- When on vacation, choose activities such hiking, swimming, tennis, kayaking, to boost your fitness level
Cut Down On
- Watching TV
- Playing Computer Games
- Browsing the Internet
- Sitting for more than 30 minutes at a time –set a timer to get up and stretch, do 30 jumping jacks, 15 sit-ups… essentially anything with movement to keep you from sitting too long
- Watching DVDs and/or Movies