Summertime and corn on the cob go hand in hand! Corn is a whole grain with many phytochemicals to help you fight off cancer and keep your heart and eyes healthy! However, often times we load corn on the cob with butter and salt, adding lots of unnecessary fat and sodium to our meal.
For a healthy corn on the cob alternative, try:
- a little olive oil and garlic
- olive oil and parmesan cheese
- lime juice and chili powder
The next time you’re making corn on the cob, steer away from the butter and salt and get creative with your corn! But even better yet… cook extra corn on the cob and make this delicious colorful corn salad for a tasty new twist!
Colorful Fresh Corn Salad
Ingredients for salad:
- Fresh corn (about 6-9 ears of corn)
- 2-3 Large tomatoes, chopped
- 15 oz black beans (have the kids help dump beans in strainer and rinse)
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh basil (have the kids tear of the basil)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1 avocado, diced into cubes (optional) (have the kids chop the avocado with a plastic knife)
Ingredients for dressing:
- ¼ cup white balsamic vinegar (have kids help pour and mix ingredients)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- In a large bowl, combine the salad ingredients.
- Whisk together dressing ingredients in a small bowl.
- Add dressing to salad ingredients and toss.