When I’m too tired for a full cardio workout, or when I just want to change things up, I do leg exercises at home. I do them with or without ankle weights. If my knees are bothering me, I link two ankle weights together, and strap the weights around my thigh. I typically repeat movement with both legs, 12– 25 repetitions on each side, with 2-3 sets. Here are a few of my favorites:
- Lie on your side. Keeping your leg straight, raise the top leg straight up, then lower it back down towards other leg. Stop 2 inches above it, and pause for 2 seconds. Keeping your leg straight, move it backwards, and then back to starting position.
- Lie on your back. Keeping your leg straight, point toe outwards and raise one leg to the side, then back towards starting position.
- Lie on your back, point toes outwards, and raise one leg straight up, then back down to starting position.
- On all fours (hands-and-knees), kick one leg straight back, while tightening the stomach muscles, and then back down to starting position without letting knee touch the ground.
- On all fours, while keeping knee bent at 90-degree angle, raise the leg out to the side, until parallel to the ground. Bring back to starting position without touching the ground. For a challenge I will sometimes try extending the leg to the side after you raise it, then bending the knee again before lowering the leg.
Want to add more leg exercises? Search on youtube and see what you find. Just always practice proper form and keep injury prevention in mind!