Just dew it! This honeydew Italian ice treat has all the satisfaction of a frozen dessert with the wholesome nutrition of fresh fruit.
Its ample water and potassium content makes for a perfect electrolyte replenisher on a hot day, especially when paired with a salty snack. But the health benefits don’t stop there! This sweet Italian treat is tasty and nutritious.
Health Benefits of Honeydew
Honeydew has an abundance of vitamin C, which contributes to immune function and radiant skin. (1) It’s also packed with fiber that enables the growth of healthy gut bacteria and other digestive benefits.
How to Choose a Honeydew Melon
For an extra burst of sweetness, choose a ripe melon. Don’t know how to tell? Its skin says it all! While honeydew is a green melon, a green-colored surface means that it isn’t quite ripe yet. Look for a melon with a yellowish cream-colored exterior to enjoy its tasty summer flavors at its best.
Honeydew Italian Ice Recipe
Rate this Recipe!
- 3 cups of ice
- 2 ½ cups of honeydew
- In a blender or food processor, blend 3 cups of ice until it has a shaved consistency.
- Place shaved ice in a medium-sized bowl.
- In a blender or food processor, blend honeydew melon until liquid.
- Pour honeydew blend over ice.
- Carr, A. C., & Maggini, S. (2017). Vitamin C and immune function.Nutrients, 9(11) doi:10.3390/nu9111211